Contractor Services is where we started out. We offer a full range of experienced and qualified operatives who will deliver the service and quality of workmanship expected with the customer care and after care service that has placed us where we are now.

Our team capabilities are endless, whether its a new kitchen, a home extension or loft conversion, a new patio, electrical installations, internal alterations, decorating, heating and plumbing, a new bathroom or a simple repair, please do get in touch and speak to one of our team about requesting your free estimate.


Our Plan and Design service is quick highly professional and extremely efficient.  

Our team have been in the Construction Industry and the Design Business for many years, so we know how to produce the designs to fulfil our clients wishes and the ingredients required to allow the contractor to have the perfect set of construction drawings.  There are many companies claiming to ofer a 'Plan & Design Service, but few are truly able to deliver.


The phrase 'many hands make light work', is one we are all aware of.  Ensuring the right hands are involved is what really makes the difference.  


Hybrid Construction offer our experience and skills in assisting private clients and contractors in project management, procurement and on site assistance in a host of different ways.  From plan and design consultancy to structural engineering, project management and finishing, we can make the difference.

We often find the need to explain the process that one needs to go through, when having an extension or home alterations carried out.  Some architects, builders or professional service providers 'forget' to explain the whole picture and what is needed. So, in a nutshell, here is what you will need to do:

Planning Permission

Firstly you need to establish if your proposed works will require planning permission or not.  Planning Permission is often referred to simply as PP.  Your architect, surveyor or contractor should be able to tell you, but you should always check with your local authority if in doubt.  


Most properties benefit from 'Permitted Development Rights' which means if you build within a certain criteria and within a certain size, your project can use up these allowances before requiring planning permission. This is often referred to simply as 'PD'.


If your permitted development allowance has been used up or if your project falls outside of the criteria for 'PD', then it is likely that you will require 'Planning Permission', it is common practice that your architect will produce a set of basic looking plans, to get you through this stage.  He may submit these plans to your local authority on your behalf and there is a Planning Application fee to pay. These plans are usually quite basic in appearance (in comparison to ones you will require to carry out the work in question later on) as they do not need to be covered in too many notes and technical details at this stage to enable Planning Permission to be obtained. A site plan, the correct dimensions, existing and proposed drawings showing the intended works and notes on external finishes are mostly what matters to the Planning Dept.  Once PP has been granted, you can start on the next stage.....'Building Regulations Approval'.  


Please note: There are some businesses around that will only undertake planning drawings and in most cases this is not enough, you will need more.... so please ask your chosen architect or agent if he/she is capable and willing to undertake the 'Building Regulation' drawings as well? If they are not, it can be expensive to employ someone solely to do undertake the Building Regulation element, as they will often need to re-draw the project again on their own system, so please be aware of entering into something that may not be what you need as it may be a costly mistake!

Building Regulation Approval

There are two routes for a 'Building Regulations Application', the first is a 'Building Notice' and the second a 'Full Plans Application'.

A Building Notice is designed for simple works or alterations, where plan checking and approval is not required prior to works commencing.  The 'Building Control Officer' will visit site, check the works being undertaken and will issue the relevant paperwork when satisfied.

A Full Plans Application allows the 'Building Control Officer' to check the plans, approve or reject the application and confirm that all works detailed within the submitted plans are correct prior to works commencing.  This is a much safer way to undertake projects like extensions as the headache of exposing a potential problem once work has commenced, is not helpful to either party and can delay the project!

Some contractors will advise undertaking extensions under a 'Building Notice' and although this is perfectly legal, it can often lead to delays and unexpected additional costs (or a dispute over costs) between the two parties.

The end result of the two options are the same but the journey to get there can be very different.

This process of 'Building Regulation Approval' will usually follow the PP application, as there will be an additional cost from your architect to compile the necessary information required for building control or 'Building Regulations Approval' as it is known.  Some will refer to it simply as 'Building Regs' or you may see it written as 'BR'. A building control inspector is often referred to as a 'BCO' (Building Control Officer). The process for the entire application for any project is usually broken down into two stages (the planning application and then the building regulation approval) to save money if the initial PP application is not granted? Therefore if the first stage/application for PP is not approved, you haven't spent money needlessly having the second stage/application (BR) drawn up. 

The building regulations application will be checked by building control (if a 'Full Plans Application' is made) and approval given if all the information contained on the drawings is correct and if all aspects necessary for the drawings to be approved, have been covered.  If not, then 'Conditional Approval' may be granted, whereby approval will be granted, provided the conditions (noted on the conditional approval letter) are adhered to or any additional information requested is submitted. On the other hand, the application may be rejected for one or more reasons.  This will be clearly explained on the rejection letter.

Building regulations cover the important aspects of the project, such as: Foundations, drainage, insulation, damp prevention, ventilation, fire safety, structural details and steel beam calculations, wall construction, floor and roof construction details, safety aspects, heat loss and thermal values of materials used, electrical and gas installation, material certification etc. etc.  

As you may have noticed, the paragraph above mentions 'Structural Details'.  These commonly apply to steel columns, supports and beams, timber supports and structural timber elements, lintels, foundations, steel posts, brickwork strengths etc. etc.  These 'Structural Calculations' and recommendations would be provided by a qualified 'Structural Engineer', capable and qualified to undertake the work required and would form part of the information required by building control, when considering 'Building Regulations Approval'. You may find that your chosen architect will recommend a Structural Engineer that he/she regularly works with.  Hybrid Construction employ two structural engineers, so we are able to incorporate their skills and knowledge into our projects whenever necessary.  The 'Structural Engineers' costs may be shown separately on any invoice you may receive from your architect, designer or adviser. Please do get in touch if you would like quotes on any structural design or calculations. We have an incredibly quick turnaround on Structural Design work, meaning your project 'doesn't have to be held up'.

Whereas PP will not usually be required for any internal works, Building Regs. may be required, as it will be necessary to cover works such as load bearing wall removals, any structural works, new drainage, ventilation in bathrooms and kitchens etc. Always check first with your local authority if in doubt. Failure to notify 'Building Control' of your project and failure to obtain the correct 'Completion Certificate' following an applicable project, can seriously affect selling your property in the future.  Hybrid Construction will make all necessary applications and deal with all aspects of 'Building Control' on your behalf.

The BCO will call in to the project at pre-determined stages to check on progress and ensure the work being undertaken, conforms to the current regulations.  Failure to allow the BCO access to the project will affect the issue of a 'Completion Certificate' which can affect the sale of your property in the future and your home insurance in the case of a future claim.

Some contractors are not aware of the regulations regarding internal or structural works and may suggest that an application is NOT required.  Please make your own enquiries to see if an application is required. Hybrid Construction can assist on all applications and regulation issues through our 'Consultancy Service'.

Once all visits have been made by Building Control and the work has been overseen and passed at every stage, a 'Completion Certificate' will be issued to prove the work has been satisfactorily completed. This is an important document and should be kept safe with your property documents.

There are two types of 'Building Control' available to oversee your projects. The first is the Local Authority Building Control, who will usually operate from your borough's Town Hall and are employees of the local council.  The second is the 'Approved Inspector' who will be employed by a private company and offer the same service as the local authority.  Both do the same job and the end results are the same.  If an approved Inspector is used, he/she will notify the local authority that he/she is acting as the Building Control Officer overseeing the project.



Tel. 01372 743732

Mob. 07813 701567

Mob. 07986 315939



24hr emergency line

07889 80 37 59



Call us to see where we are working. You can visit us on site and meet the team.  We cannot guarantee access to our clients property, but we will always spare the time to explain what we are doing and you can view our work externally.



contact us

Contact us for a free estimate or to discuss your needs.

Based in Epsom, we daily provide our services to most areas within Surrey and London.

Areas We Cover














Leatherhead                   Woking             


Fetcham                           Oxshott


Bookham                         Horsley


Guildford                         Byfleet


Central London              Ewell


Cobham                           Cheam


Weybridge                       Carshalton


Walton                             Banstead



​© 2023 by Moving Company. Proudly created with

  • Facebook Social Icon
2016-12-21 10.25.46

Describe your image.